Advantages of listing a building
– For each restoration undertaken it is possible to apply for a government grant of between 30-50% of the cost including professional fees- usually 30% in actually given.
– 19% of the cost can be written off against tax.
– The State pays up to 6% of the interest of the mortgage related to the cost of buying a restoring listed building.
– Inheritance and purchase tax are lesser than normally the case.
– Rental income is hardly taxed at all.
– Property tax is around ¼ the normal level.